Happy Father’s Day! Nothing quite says “I love you, Dad” like his favorite pie…in my dad’s case: strawberry rhubarb! So, first I’d like to apologize to the pie crust gods…I didn’t make my crust from scratch this time (Thank you, Pillsbury) but the really important part is the filling, anyway, right? So get your spatulas out, and get baking!
What You’ll Need:
1 1/2 cups rhubarb (about 4 stalks), cut in ½ inch pieces
1 1/2 cups strawberries (about 8 oz.) cut in halves (or quarters)
1 cup sugar
2 Tbsp flour
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp vanilla
1 Tbsp lemon juice
What to Do:
1. In a large bowl: put the sliced rhubarb and strawberries in with the little lemon juice and mix gently.
2. Add the sugar, flour, cinnamon and vanilla and mix.
3. Allow the filling to marinate for 20-30 min.
4. Roll out dough and put in the pie pan, adding the filling on top.
5. Option a) For a plain pie top: Roll out the second crust and put it over the pie, poking holes
5. Option b) For a lattice pie top: Roll out the second crust and slice it one way in 1 inch strips (see in the picture below). Then lay them in the lattice pattern.
6. Crimp the outside of the crust with a fork to connect the upper/bottom crusts
7. Paint the top crust with milk and sprinkle sugar over the top (you only need about a tablespoon of milk…you don’t want it to pool on top of the crust anywhere)
8. Bake at 400 degrees for 15 minutes, and then 325 degrees for another 45 minutes
9. Try your best to wait and let it cool before digging in…(or just go for it! Who cares if it’s a little messy?)