Yesterday I was doing a regular round of shopping at BJ’s, and it just so happens that they now carry organic blueberries! Exciting, I know. And as with anything at BJ’s, the box of blueberries was gigantic, so when I woke up this morning I knew I had to use them for something…thus came the motivation for these muffins. A little good-morning gift for my parents, which is always nice. You wouldn’t believe how healthy they are, or how delicious! (I’ve already eaten three and they came out of the oven 10 minutes ago…no regrets).
What You’ll Need:
1 1/4 cups gluten-free flour (I used Pamela’s Baking & Pancake Mix)
1 1/4 cups old-fashioned oats
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 cup unsweetened applesauce (equal to 2 applesauce cups, I just learned)
1/2 cup non-fat greek yogurt (vanilla or plain)
1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
2 Tbsp canola oil
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 1/2 cups fresh blueberries (the more the merrier!)
Yields about 18 muffins
What to Do:
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Line your muffin tins with cooking spray or baking cups
3. In a large bowl: combine flour, oats, baking soda, baking powder, salt & cinnamon
4. In a medium bowl: combine applesauce, yogurt, oil, egg & sugar
5. Best part: Make a “well” in the dry ingredients and add the wet mixture, stirring just until the dry ingredients are moist. You don’t want to over-mix–expect a pretty thick batter!
6. Fold in the blueberries
7. Spoon the batter into the muffin tins
8. Bake for about 15 minutes (It took 13 min in my convection oven)
9. Mangia, mangia, mangia!
I adapted this from a recipe by The Craving Chronicles. Thanks for the inspiration!