My sisters and I wanted to surprise my parents with a sweet treat tonight, so we decided to try these gluten-free chocolate cookies…I couldn’t possibly capture their melt-in-your-mouth/lava-souffle-cake quality in a picture because 1) they were eaten too fast and 2) my camera isn’t that fancy…but take my word for it, these babies are pure chocolate heaven.
Mouth drooling yet? Good! Now get baking, and bring a few of these to someone you care about to cheer up their day.
What you’ll need:
1 1/2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
3 egg whites
2 cups powdered sugar
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 Tblsp corn starch
1/4 tsp salt
Yields about 25 cookies
What to do:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Line two baking sheets with aluminum foil (or non-stick spray, if you prefer)
3. Beat three egg whites in a mixer until white and fluffy
4. Melt 1 cup chocolate chips in the microwave for about 2 minutes (stirring every 30 seconds or so to make sure it doesn’t burn).
5. Slowly beat in 1 cup of powdered sugar with the egg whites until the mixture looks like marshmallow cream
6. In another bowl, whisk 1 cup powdered sugar with the cocoa powder, corn starch, and salt. Slowly add this dry mixture to the egg whites in the mixer.
7. Stir in the melted chocolate, and add the last 1/2 cup of chocolate chips. The dough will be very, very stiff!
8. Roll the dough into small balls and roll each ball in powdered sugar before placing it on the tray.
9. Bake until the tops crack, for about ten minutes.
Eat them while they’re hot, with a nice tall glass of milk!
Thanks to Divine Baking‘s blog for inspiring this recipe!